Monday, November 8, 2010

November and summer's gone

Everyday for the last three weeks we have sat outside, visiting, playing with the grandkids, reading, playing with the dog. Every day we would say, we have to enjoy this (and we thoroughly did) because soon it will be too cold.

Sunday in the church parking lot I was talking with a friend and sure enough, we only lasted 20 minutes visiting because it was too cold. Today has been rain and sometimes snow...sleety and COLD! The perfect day for a good book! I found one Saturday at the Acorn Antique Fair! I was looking for a cool box for my new bathroom vanity and keep noticing books but didn't stop to check as they were stacked up and in some cases hard to get to.

Then I found and went into a charming booth which had a bookshelf so it was easy to see the titles. There were many of my favorite authors! I said that to the woman in the booth and continued that I loved them because there was no bloody violence or descriptive sex, and that they were "feel good" stories. When I finish reading them I feel good. As we were talking a lady came in and asked about her D.E. Stevenson books, and if she could get a deal. She picked up three and the seller found another. She bought them all and did get a deal. She mentioned the same reasons for reading them as I did. I commented to her and she just looked at me like, "Who are you?" Well, as they were negeotiating, I happened to see another. I pulled it off the shelf and looked in it. It was a novel about Scotland where my ancestors are from. I didn't say a word. I decided that book was mine! When she left, I told the book seller that I had been bad and showed her the book. She laughed. We had a nice discussion about books and the joy we get when we find a good one. Later, I asked for a deal and got one! She was a lovely charming person.

So I took it home and due to family activities, I didn't get to open it until Sunday
night. It was wonderful! It was a sweet and charming story of some families in Scotland. Very descriptive of the cozy homes and life, a la Rosamund Pilcher, whose every book I have read.

Of course I finished reading it this morning! I got on line to Amazon and they didn't have many nor the earlier ones. She writes some in sequels. So I went to the library. They had three! I called my sisters and told them the good news so they could enjoy them too. It is book weather outside. I did our grocery shopping and ran all my errands, now I just need a fire and I'm set. What a treasure to find a good book! It's splendid!

No comments:

Post a Comment